Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Delayed Happiness



I don’t even know where to start. I am seated at the airport lobby listening to the rustling engines of the plane I was supposedly meant to leave on. How this mess came about is hard to explain. The person who was supposed to book my flight rode with me to the airport and wished me a safe flight, despite sending everyone but me an email that clearly stated that I would not be on this particular flight. 
Courtesy of Google Images
Sounds like an episode right out of “La Revancha”- The Revenge, a common Mexican Soap Opera that aired on local television when I was growing up. As luck would have it, I have also already lost my room at the hotel where I was staying and the number to other only decent hotel I could stay at is perpetually busy. Seems like I am just about to discover the dingy River road motels and lodgings this side of Somalia! It is obvious: misfortune favours those not copied on the email! Weirdly though everyone keeps walking up to me to find out how I am doing or waving greetings in the air in Swahili. After bragging endlessly about my newly acquired looks of a rich Somali woman, the thought that I am conspicuously Kenyan is a welcome surprise. 
Courtesy of Google Images
However, it doesn’t explain the numerous women who after politely saying hi have proceeded to update me on the latest happenings in Somali language after which I smiled and nodded my head in agreement. The few weeks I have spent here have opened my eyes to see just how much I love Nairobi and Kenya in general.
Courtesy of Google Images
 It’s the freedom, climate, awesome friends and family that could never allow me to enjoy long periods away from my beloved country. Almost one hour later, the driver is here to pick me up and I am off back to the office……….last place I want to be and luckily, I have managed to get a room in the same hotel! Apparently my flight has been delayed. I cannot help but wonder what good things are in store for me now that I have been granted one more day in this extremely beautiful land. It may be a second chance for me a to catch up on my piling workload. This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it! 

1 comment: